There will always be situations where something breaks down without warning, but for the most part, there are often signs that something is amiss to give you some advance warning. At Hodge Heating & Air Conditioning of Lake Norman Inc., we want to help you be prepared, which is why we highly recommend regular air conditioning inspections and maintenance. Not only are we doing our best to extend the life of your system, but we are also in the position to let you know about signs that air conditioning replacement is on the horizon. Here are some signs you can be watching for as well.
- Increasing power bill- If your power bill is climbing and it isn’t because of rate hikes or using more power for other appliances, it is possible your air conditioning is struggling and could be close to the end of its functional life.
- It is more than 15 years old- While today’s air conditioning units are lasting nearly 20 years, the older ones more commonly last between 12 and 15 years, so if your unit is older than that, air conditioning replacement might not be far off.
- Reduced or warm airflow- A struggling air conditioning unit cannot provide the airflow it used to, and if you are noticing the output isn’t as cold either, it is likely time for it to be replaced, especially if it is an older unit.
- It is making a racket- Noises are not a normal sign of aging and are indicative of problems that could go beyond a cost-effective repair.
- It doesn’t smell nice- Odd odors in your home are often a sign of mold, which means your air conditioning unit isn’t effectively controlling humidity. Burning odors are a different type of problem and should be investigated immediately.